Northolt Methodist Church has its origins in a house group setup by Greenford Methodist Church in the 1930′s. One of the founders was Mr Ted Dirl.
In 1933 the present church building was opened. It was designed as an all-purpose building, with moveable partitions, pulpit and platform so that the present back room could be opened out into the main church. This remained the design until 1965 when the new church hall was built and a permanent screen replaced the partitions in the church. While the church was being altered services were held in the hall.
The site of the church was originally much larger, and it was hoped to build a larger church adjacent to the current building. The scheme was put aside and the land was sold and a block of flats built.
Before the construction of the present church hall there was an ex-army hut at the rear of the church that was used mainly for youth work and before that, there was a hit on the opposite corner of the roundabout.
During the Second World War and after, the church and its hut were used as school premises. When the present roundabout with underpass was constructed, the church lost some land but in return the builders put in a a road and a gate to the car park at the rear of the church.
Throughout its history Northolt has shared it minister with Greenford Methodist Church except during the time of John Newton and Chris Gibbs who were at Hanwell Methodist Church (to even out numbers)
Northolt Methodist Church has always played its part in the ecumenical community of Northolt working most recently as part of Soul in Northolt and Greenford (SING).
The style of worship has always been “low”.
While numbers attending have never been very large the current congregation is between 50 and 60 from 0 – late 90s and all age ranges represented and created a friendly family feel.
Until the mid-1970s the church held regular evening services and there was a strong youth club.
The church has always had a popular Sunday School now known as Jesus Kids
(Taken from a conversation with Mrs Bags and Colin Pratt)